Thursday, 3 May 2012

Project Lunch Week 2: Honey Soy Tofu Stir Fry

I'm doing a little bit better at making sure I eat this week. Let's see, on Monday I had some brown rice with leftover chicken and asparagus. On Tuesday I skipped lunch and was in a hurry all day (For shame! For Shame!) Yesterday I had the best of intentions to make myself a fabulous lunch, but when I found out we were out of garbanzo beans, that fell through and I had a bagel with jam. Yeah...I need to keep working on this.

Today however, I was craving tofu, and just happened to have a bunch of veggies that needed to be used soon. I threw together a simple marinade for the tofu and used some left over brown rice from Mondays leftovers.

Easy Soy Honey Tofu Stir Fry
You'll Need:
Extra Firm Tofu (I use about a quarter of a package for just myself)
Veggies (whatever you have on hand)
Cooked Brown rice
For the sauce:
1/2 c soy sauce
1/2 c water
1 T sesame oil
2T honey
small squirt of sriracha
2 cloves garlic
1 inch chunk of ginger

1) Press your tofu. I wrap mine in a kitchen towel and place a cast iron skillet on top of it. Leave it for 15 minutes of so and a great deal of water will press out. This will change the texture of the finished tofu and make it a little less mushy.

 2) While your are waiting, mix together your sauce ingredients. Mince the garlic and ginger, or just push them both through a garlic press. (Oh yeah...I am that lazy). Use the sriracha to your liking. If you like a little more spice, crank it up.

3) Slice your tofu into triangles. I think it marinates better that way. Place your slices in a shallow dish and cover with the sauce.

4) Let the tofu sit for about 10 minutes while you chop your veggies. I used carrots, broccoli, spinach, and some peas that were left over from the boys' lunch.

5) Heat a pan over med-high heat with a Tablespoon or so of oil.

6) When the pan is hot, add the tofu in a single layer. Check frequently and turn as they brown. Be careful not to let it burn. I like mine light brown and a little crispy at the edges. It takes about 5 minutes, turning a couple times throughout. Remove them from the pan.

7) Add veggies to the hot pan and stir fry for a couple minutes. Add a couple T of the marinade to flavor it and continue to stir fry until the veggies are soft.

8) Assemble veggies and tofu on the rice and chow down.


2 comments:

  1. Using a tofu press like the EZ Tofu Press works great for drying out tofu (extra firm and firm tofu) before marinating. As you mention, proper pressing improves the texture and allows better flavor absorption!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The recipe looks yumm...would definitely try it.Can you give me an alternate for sriracha?not sure if that's available here in India.
    Meanwhile please check my new blog http://www.mamasview.blogspot.com
    Thanks,
    mamasview

    ReplyDelete

Find Me On Pinterest

Search This Blog

Grab my Button

Once Upon a Baby

Followers

My Favorites

 
Designs by Dana
© 2011 Designs by Dana