Friday, 30 March 2012

One in Fifty-Four.

                                                                                                                                                                    See this little sugar bug? He is autistic. If you read my blog you know this, but did you know that he is 1 in 54? That's right the CDC released a report yesterday estimating that 1 in 54 boys are autistic. The report estimates that 1 in 88 children are autistic, 1 in 54 boys, and 1 in 252 girls. We're part of that statistic. L is the one in eighty-eight and the one in fifty-four. 

If those numbers don't have an impact on you, think of it this way. If you are pregnant and expecting a boy, you're odds are 1 in 54 that he'll be autistic.                                          
                                      
These statistics disgust me. Not enough research is happening to determine why autism rates are increasing. The truth is, we still know very little about the causes. The numbers are alarming! There should be more concern. I plan to write to my congressmen asap. I encourage you to do the same.  In a couple of days I will post a letter that can be signed and forwarded to your congressmen. Keep your eyes peeled for it.

Unfortunately what tends to happen when new reports come out, is that people get upset. They donate. They write their letters. Then, they forget about it, and before long it's old news. I encourage you to stay involved. The chances are that you know someone who is affected by autism.

For more information visit Autism Speaks.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Find Me On Pinterest

Search This Blog

Grab my Button

Once Upon a Baby

Followers

My Favorites

 
Designs by Dana
© 2011 Designs by Dana