Wednesday, 1 June 2011

Sweet Baby L

L is autistic. There, I said it. It's out. We don't know where he falls on the spectrum, but we know that he is on the spectrum. It will be at least six months before we have any more information. This is our new reality. I can't seem to get my mind off my sweet babe.

I don't think that any family ever wants their child to have ASD, although it is relieving to know why L is the way he is. Through this whole ordeal, all I want to do is scoop him up and hold him, snuggle him, and never let him go. Unfortunately that won't happen because he isn't a fan of being held and touched, only on his own accord, which is rare.

I've had a couple of very sad and teary weeks. It's time for me to move on from my denial/pity party. My child is healthy. He is happy. He doesn't know that he is any different. He is special. He is beautiful. I love him for his differences, not despite them.

I don't want anyone's pity, only support and love. Please send vibes of strength and attitude renewal my way. On another note, I have found that comments like "there is no way that an 18m old can be autistic, that's ridiculous", "he's too young to know that", "I don't believe in autism", or "autism is just an excuse for poor behavior and learning deficits" are completely unhelpful, not at all comforting, and honestly rather insensitive. Even comments made with the best of intentions are not always a good idea. If you know anyone going through something like this, it might be something to keep in mind.

6 comments:

  1. Your right he is a healthy amazing little guy. I will send you good vibes and lots of luv.. You are a strong Girl and I know in the end god has a plan hun.

    ~Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer, I know some awesome resources in town for kids and families living with ASD. Get a hold of the Carson Kolzig foundation...a local ASD that was founded by one of the Tri-City Americans when his son was diagnosed. There is also a person who does testing for ASD outside of the school system, and while it is very expensive, it is very thorough and accurate. Schools rarely catch it. There is also a horse therapy program in town but I do not know at what age the participants need to be. Let me know if you want me to give you contact info of parents I know who have diagnosed or suspected cases of ASD. 1 in 10 kids falls somewhere on the spectrum. I believe you that you as a mother knows when something is up. You are a great mommy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer,
    I am touched...beyond words...by the raw and real emotion you have just shared about what you and L are experiencing. Thank you for sharing, so we all know how to love and support you better.
    ~Ashley Laird

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this Jennifer, I love your honesty and ability to stay real through this diagnosis. One thing about early diagnosis is early treatment and early treatment with ASD can make a HUGE difference in future quality of life for the whole family. Good luck and keep the faith!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know I'm here. Any day. Any time. Like I said the other day.... he is an amazingly lucky kid to have a momma like you. He is going to do GREAT with lots of help and support. You are too. Your kids hit the mommy jackpot, sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI! My son has PDDNOS (high functioning autism), similar to Aspberger's. We found out when he was 3. From birth through 3 was quite a struggle as we had no idea what made him not want to be touched or made him scream or cry or be angry all of the time. I don't know any other parent of children with Autism, but would love to chat with you. My son is now 5 and has made enormous strides. He is going to go to kindergarten on time this fall and is a tremendous boy!! There are so many resources out there and so many dietary things you can do as a parent- the sky is the limit for him!! Please be encouraged by me and know that God chose YOU to be his mommy and not anyone else b/c He knew you had what it takes to raise your precious boy:) Would love to tell you more about my journey!! Prayers go out to you!

    ReplyDelete

Find Me On Pinterest

Search This Blog

Grab my Button

Once Upon a Baby

Followers

My Favorites

 
Designs by Dana
© 2011 Designs by Dana