Monday, 1 November 2010

Sew-Along Day 7

This is the last day of the sew-along, and is far behind schedule. This little project is the "Baby-in-the-Hood Jacket" from the book, Handmade Beginnings: 24 Sewing Projects to Welcome Baby. I was a bit distracted by my two smallest ones turning one year old today, and let myself fall behind. Today I'm supposed to be attaching the buttons, but what do ya know....I forgot to buy buttons for this one. Oops! So, I'm going to briefly walk you through sewing on the plackets, and then show you my buttonless near-finished product.

Take your placket pieces and fold one of the long edges in 1/2 inch. Press this well. Place your strip of fusible interfacing on the placket piece and make sure that it is at least 1/2 inch from the other edges. Fuse it in place.
Take your 1x16" strip of fabric and press it in half, right sides together. Unfold it and fold each long edge in towards the crease. Press it. You should end up with a 16" long, very skinny strip, with all of the raw edges hidden on the inside. Cut this into 4 equal pieces. Pin those pieces onto the outer part of the jacket front and tack down with your machine.

Now, Lay the placket piece down right sides together on the front of the jacket. It will hang off the top and bottom by 1/2". Stitch the seam and press it open. Like so....
Fold the placket in half, right sides together, The creased edge will meet the seam that you just made.
Sew along the top and bottom edges of the placket, using 1/2" seam allowance. Turn it right side out, and press. I clip my corners before I press because I find that it has a crisper look to it. Position the placket fabric so that the edge that is in the inside of the jacket covers the seam that is there and top stitch it together.
 And, that is it! Well...except for those pesky little buttons. :) What do you think of it? It's a birthday present for one of my twins. What's better than a handmade item that will be saved and hopefully become an heirloom.

 Thank-you Pocketful of Roses for sewing along with me. I can't wait to see your finished jacket!

If anyone else was sewing with us, hit the contact me button on the top...yep way up there... and shoot me an email with a photo of your jacket. Although, I think it was just the two of us sewing. ;o)



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Find Me On Pinterest

Search This Blog

Grab my Button

Once Upon a Baby

Followers

My Favorites

 
Designs by Dana
© 2011 Designs by Dana