Thursday, 7 October 2010

Make Your Own Soda with SodaStream



We try to be crunchy and stay away from overly processed foods in this house, we really do. My one big battle is with soda. I love it and I know it isn't good for me and creates a ton of waste, but I crave it anyway. I had the opportunity to review a SodaStream home soda maker and I happily accepted.

Most store bought soda contains the #1 item on my personal "to avoid at all costs" list, yet I buy it anyway. What is this horrific ingredient? High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS). Don't be fooled by the new name for it "corn sugar", it's the same nasty ingredient.

The fabulous thing about the soda stream syrups, is that they do not contain HFCS (or aspartame for that matter)! They sent me a large variety of the flavors to try and our favorite is the cranberry raspberry. They sell over 30 flavors of syrup, including diet flavors. Each bottle of flavoring makes 12 liters of soda. The one thing that I didn't really like about the flavors in their regular collection is that they all, both regular and diet, contain sucralose (aka splenda). Since I received my machine they did launch a small line called Sparkling naturals, that do not contain any artificial sweeteners. Sparkling Naturals come in four flavors.

Since the flavorings we received contained splenda, we used the machine a lot to make sparkling juices. We followed the regular directions to make carbonated water and mixed it with equal parts of juice in a pitcher. B bear loves it. He now asks for juice pop.
The sodastream system is all you need to make your own sodas and fizzy water at home, using your own tap water. The fountain jet doesn't use any electricity and the bottles are reusable, so there is minimal waste.

If you are a big soda drinker and would like to give SodaStream a try you can purchase any of their home soda machine products here. They even offer a few kits. The starter kit, which retails at 109.95, has everything you need to make your own soda: a fountain jet, bottle of carbonator, two soda bottles, and three drink mixes. You can purchase their products online through SodaStream, or at various retailers.


As always, I was not compensated for this review in any way other than receiving product to review. This review is written by myself and contains my own opinions.

1 comment:

  1. I have one of these and I simply love it. I very seldom buy canned soda - and I only buy it to have a few name brands in the fridge should company arrive (or, to offer some hard outdoor workers).

    I do make some of my own flavorings with Splenda and fruits.

    ReplyDelete

Find Me On Pinterest

Search This Blog

Grab my Button

Once Upon a Baby

Followers

My Favorites

 
Designs by Dana
© 2011 Designs by Dana