Friday, 27 November 2009

And 3 Became 5....our twins birth story

I'm finally getting around to writing this now that our boys are nearly a month old....time sure flies faster now.

Halloween was my first day of partial freedom from my 13 week stretch of bedrest. After taking my son out to trick-or-treat at a few relatives homes, I went home to pass out candy to the neighborhood kids and my husband went the ER. (that's a whole other story) By the time he came home my contractions were 2-4 mins apart and we decided to head to the hospital to see if it was really happening this time.

I was 4 cm when we got there at 10:30 pm and progressing slowly. We decided to start pitosin right away to speed up the process. After all, after such an uncomfortable pregnancy and so much preterm labor, I was not thrilled with the idea of a 24 hour labor.

Our doula, Kristina arrived soon after we got there and the timing was perfect. Jason was wiped out after taking a bit of Benadryl earlier. So lucky Jason got to take a nap while Kristina helped me through the contractions. I couldn't have asked for better support. I was also blessed with an amazing nurse, who I had got to know during my various hospital stays in the past few months.

This experience was very diferent from my previous birth. I wasn't able to move around much because I was attached to the fetal monitors the entire time. We made due though and I did get to use a labor ball for a while.

Once my contractions were stronger the doctor broke my water and started monitoring A with an internal monitor, which was so not a big deal at all. After that point everything went really fast. The contractions became very strong and before I knew it I was getting an epidural...which is when I decided it was time for the hubby to wake up.

Soon after at 2:47 am I was moved to the operating room to deliver. After only a few pushes, at 2:55 am Luke (4lb 15oz) was born. Baby B was breech and once A was out, my doctor was able to turn him...I guess I should be very thankful for that epidural. At 2:59 Alex (5lb 10oz) was born. I was able to hold both of them before they went to the NICU. I'm so thankful to have been able to deliver both without a c-section and better yet, without ANY stitches!

Both babies needed assistance with breathing. Alex was on a ventilator and Luke was on cpap for only 12 hours. After 5 days in the nicu we were able to take our little boys home and enjoy the crazy happiniess that is having 3 boys under 2.


Post a Comment

Find Me On Pinterest

Search This Blog

Grab my Button

Once Upon a Baby


My Favorites

Designs by Dana
© 2011 Designs by Dana